Saturday, June 13, 2009

Moving In


To get all of our stuff from Seattle to Chignik we ship up containers on a barge to Chignik Bay. From there a local purse seiner (Lisa Marie, above) puts them on his boat and gets them very close to camp where we move them with our small boats. We also gave him 14 drums to fill with fuel so we would have gasoline for our boats and diesel for our generator.


This year we are buiding a new generator shed and a small deck on our cabin. This requires lots of building supplies, and we have to get them up to our site. This year we tried hooking our cart up to a gas powered winch with a very long cable to pull the lumber up the 300 foot path to the cabin. This worked great for the first few times, then while Jen was taking pictures we lost control of the cart, and dropped the handle. Meanwhile I was trying to signal to Chad to stop the winch and the handle caught me in the back of the leg and pulled me off my feet. Chad was 300 feet away in the shop and saw none of this until he looked up to see me flat on my back and the lumber spilled form the cart. He stopped the winch. Luckily for me the winch is slow and the tundra is soft. No harm done.

1 comment:

Tish said...

Chad! You're supposed to be taking care of Morgan not knocking him down!! :)